Monday, February 27, 2012

Free Time

When many of you read the title, you probably thought to yourself "Free time--I don't have any of that"!  I think the same thing many times.  Especially during the day at school...many times I just want a little "free time" to myself.  That being said, the post tonight comes from the book "Lady in Waiting".  This is a book that I have been reading since Winter Break but it has taken me quite a bit of time to work through it because it has challenged me so much that I find myself not able to get through an entire chapter at a time.  This has been one of the best book recommendations that any of my friends could have made!! Thanks Lindsey and Caitlin!

So...back to Free Time!  As I was reading through chapter 2, I took note of the following story.  It is a story about how there is something that every unmarried woman has that married women give up on their wedding days...free time! Now, that's not to say that every single woman has ton of free time just because they aren't married.  It goes on to describe that when you become a married woman, you now have a husband and a new life.  Many times, parenthood comes next and kids take up most of your time.  As a single woman, you don't have your time invested in a husband or children.  This simple fact shows that as a single woman, you have more time to invest in Jesus.  Over the past 6 months, I have come to this realization of "free time".  It wasn't until I read this chapter, that I thought about this free time being available to invest in Jesus.  To invest in serving the Lord and making a difference.  Having just recently started this blog, I could never imagine the blessings that could have come from it! I have had so many friends, family members, and church family members letting me know how much they enjoy reading it and following it! It makes me so proud to know that I am serving the Lord by sharing my experiences through my walk with Him.

A quote that I loved, in this same chapter, is "Too many young women waste valuable years as they wait for life to begin--after marriage".  How many of you have found yourself in a moment of waiting that you felt like you were waiting for something but you didn't know what you were waiting for?  Just tonight, on my drive back to Gainesville, I was thinking about how I don't have anything hung in my bedroom in my apartment and how it doesn't feel like a "true" place to call home.  When I think back on why I haven't done more as far as decorations go, I realize that I am telling myself that this is only a temporarily place to live.  Think about how we do this to God.  How we tell Him that we know that He wants us to do more in our community, in our churches, in our personal lives, but we tell Him "not now", "I'm not going to be living in this community long...I'll do more in the next community I live in".  Why is it that we put God on hold so much?  Why is it that we always insert the word BUT into our conversations with Him?  Why do we waster His valuable time?  He has given us this free time to spend doing His will and following His plans but we waste it! 

We throw it out the window and we waste it....


No comments:

Post a Comment